Castles & Manors

Põltsamaa Castle

The stone fortress was constructed on the banks of the Põltsamaa River already in 1272. Later on (1570–1578) the fortress was the residence of Livonia's King Magnus. Repeatedly pillaged, the castle was rebuilt by Woldemar Johann von Lauw. In the 18th century the fortress became a grand rococo-style palace. The castle and the church burnt down in 1941. Only the church was restored in 1952. The castle remained in ruins, waiting for its time. The complex is open again from the summer of 2023. The castle tower, convent building, and gate building are open to visitors, where you can find [...]

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Põltsamaa Castle

Kuremaa Castle and Park

Kuremaa Classicist manor house was built in 1837-1843 by the von Oettingen family. The manor house was designed by the architect E. J. T. Strauss from Tartu. There is also a room for a museum in the castle which gives an overview of the region and of the history of Kuremaa Agricultural School. At present the rooms of the castle are used for organising conferences. The park rich in species descends towards lake Kuremaa which attracts visitors with its well-kept beach and possibilities for taking a rest.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Kuremaa Castle and Park

Võisiku manor

Võisiku manor was first mentioned in 1558. It was one of the biggest manors in Livonia in the 18th and 19th centuries, stretching from Põltsamaa to Lake Võrtsjärv. There were 52 buildings on the manor originally, some of which we can still see today, and a further 67 in outlying parts of the manor and its mirror factory. Lord of the manor Timotheus Eberhard von Bock, who drew up Russia's first constitution for Emperor Alexander I and was sent to the Schlüsselburg fortress for 9 years for doing so, is the central character in Estonian author Jaan Kross' novel "The [...]

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Võisiku manor

Pajusi manor

Pajusi manor was constructed in the 17th century. Its long, stone main building in Classicist style is thought to have been erected in the early 19th century. It was one-storey; only the central section was adorned with a small upper floor, which bears a distinct decorative window. In addition to the main building, the manor as a whole includes a number of other buildings and a large park. Did you know...? *Remaining of the main building of the manor are its central part and right-hand wing, which is home to Pajusi Community Centre

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Pajusi manor

Lustivere Manor

First records which mention the manor date back to 1552. The manor house inspired by Neo-Gothic style was built based on the designs of an architect and researcher of antiquities from Tartu, R.von Guleke, and it is one of the most remarkable manor houses in the centre of Estonia. At present the manor houses a retirement home. * The manor can only be viewed from the outside.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Lustivere Manor

Adavere manor

Adavere manor was first mentioned in records in the second half of the 17th century. In the 16th and 17th centuries, Adavere was under the rule of Põltsamaa castle, which governed all of the surrounding land and villages as the most important town in Central Estonia. Its massive slate main building was constructed between 1892 and 1893. The complex also includes outbuildings erected in the late 19th century – a workers' cottage and a barn with a drying shed. Manor park (dating from the 1740s) was one of the grandest in Estonia in its day, although little remains of its glory [...]

By |08 Apr 2021|Comments Off on Adavere manor
Go to Top