The well-preserved Dutch windmill in Adavere was converted into a restaurant. Adavere Manor was first documented in the second half of the 17th century. The park, designed in the 1740s, was one of the most impressive parks of the time, although there is not much left to indicate its former splendour. Kalmemägi (burial hill) took its name from a sacred grove and sacrificial stone. The stone, marking the central point of the inland Estonia, can be found by the Tallinn – Tartu highway near Adavere village.
Pajusi Manor was given as a gift to Lieutenant General Ivan Bibikov by Empress Catherine. From 1820 to 1919 the estate was in the ownership of the von Wahl family. The manor house is a stone building with a mansard. One of the wings was demolished at the end of the 1930-s. At present the building is used as a community house. The chapel of the Wahl family, a Gothic stone building with the arms, is at the cemetery. The Pistohlkors cemetery and a Gothic chapel (1873) can be found in Kütimäe (Arisvere). Otissaare hill lies about a kilometre from Kalana village. The hill is covered with a beautiful forest. A metal plate with a map of the Estonian stronghold hillson it, marks the site of the Otissaare stronghold. The main theme of the folk tales related to the place, are connected with a town and money cellar hidden in the ground. Although people have seen the fire which is said to be guarding the buried treasure, nothing has ever been found. Aidu Altar of Victory, located at Aidu village, marks the site where in fierce battles the members of the local Defence League gained the victory in the War of Independence on 4th January 1919. The memorial was opened in 1929 and reopened 60 years later.
Põltsamaa – the town of wine, bridges and roses. Põltsamaa Castle, a unique architectural ensemble, was started in 1272. The shape of the 14th century circular wall can be seen. From 1570 to 1578 the castle was the residence of the Livonian king, Duke Magnus. In the course of centuries the fort suffered damage and in 1770 the old convent building was replaced by a rococo palace which was the best specimen of the rococo style in Estonia. The castle and church were destroyed in 1941. After the war the church was restored and in 1952 consecrated. The spire was built in 1969. The ruins of the castle are being conserved. The massive circular walls hide secrets. Big stone cannonballs, stairs, entering the walls, can be seen, and also a castle ghost, if you are lucky. Nowadays the courtyard has been converted into a stage of open-air events. Põltsamaa Museum is in the courtyard. The display is related to the history of the town and the parish. The photos of the rococo castle have an important place in the collection. The pride of the museum is a 14th century console of a church and rare specimens of the local porcelain. It is possible to play an old parlour organ or weave a carpet. Over 2000 magnificent roses grow on the islet Roosisaar in the town centre. The Rose Garden of Põltsamaa demonstrates 900 different species of roses and over 3000 rose plants. The garden was started in 1996. Some of the rose sorts have a long history dated back from 500 BC. In the Park of Friendship in Põltsamaa many Estonian and foreign prominent figures have planted trees. We can see several impressive sculptures here, included Ploughing Kalevipoeg and monumental Way to Olympus with the names of Estonian Olympic medallists.
The neo-Gothic Lustivere Manor House was built from 1871 to 1881. The beautiful silhouette of the manor house is shaped by high terraced gables and the main tower, which was added to the northern wing. In recent years the manor has housed a hospital and a home for aged people. In Lustivere we find the blacksmith’s forge of Jaak Krivin. Võhmanõmme is the birthplace of K. A. Hermann – the linguist, the man of letters and music. Puurmani Manor was established in the 14th century. The present historicistic castle was built in the 1870s by G.J.v.Mannteuffel. Two storeys of the building are towering on a high socle, the octagonal 25-m tower has four storeys. In the interior design many different styles were fit together. Some specimens of excellent carpentry as well as tiled stoves and fireplaces have been preserved. In 1918 Juljus Kuperjanov formed the famous battalion in the castle. Kursi Church of St. Mary and Elisabeth is one of the most stylish neo-Gothic buildings in Estonia. The initial section of the church was built in 1648. During the reconstruction from 1871 to 1872, twelve apostle towers were added to the main tower. The remarkable timber parsonage, dated from 1817, has two mantel chimneys and double beam walls. The parsonage contains a parish museum.
The Alam-Pedja Nature Reserve, founded in 1995, is 5 km from Puurmani towards the centre of Jüriküla. This is a vast natural territory with a sparse human population. It offers sinuous rivers, wide holms, large mires and primeval forests. The unique landscape is rich in plant, animal, iinsect and bird species. Kirna Study Centre, which was opened in 2007, is managed by the Defence League and nature conservators.