History & Culture

St Bartholomew’s Church in Palamuse

Palamuse Church is one of the oldest medieval churches in northern Tartu County. The church was first mentioned in documents in 1234. As a fortress church, it provided protection from invaders during wars. There is a burial ground around the church, which has two preserved headstones. The unique wooden sculptures on the altar and pulpit date back to 1696. There is a dry-stone painting on the eastern outer wall. Services are held in the church every Sunday at 11 a.m. The church also organises concerts and plays.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on St Bartholomew’s Church in Palamuse

Siimusti Clay Industry

Siimusti Ceramics operates from the clay factory, which was founded in 1886 by Joosep Tiimann, a man born from a family of farmers. The location was suitable due to the clay deposits present here. At first the brick manufactury was created; afterwards they started producing oven pots and dishware. Nowadays you can get acquainted with the manufacturing process of ceramics: The pouring of clay into the mold and the firing and glazing processes. The end product can be bought onsite.

By |09 Oct 2020|Comments Off on Siimusti Clay Industry

Kursi’s Sts. Mary and Elisabeth Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

Baroque architecture in concordance with pseudo Gothic architecture (alteration by Johann Gottfired Mühlhausen). Twelve small spiring pinnacles symbolise the twelve apostles of Jesus. The church manor is a historical parochial centre; there is a museum in the vicarage (built in 1817).

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Kursi’s Sts. Mary and Elisabeth Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

Central Estonian Art Gallery pART

Gallery pART is located in the Põltsamaa Castle complex; it is an unheated extreme gallery built in a loft, and as we all know: ART is not afraid of the cold. There is a new exhibition of professional art in Gallery pART every month. Interesting information: the gallery consists of two parts; Gallery pART with contemporary lighting has a total surface are of 200 square metres. Gallery pART was established by the members of Art Society.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Central Estonian Art Gallery pART

Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Torma

Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Torma is a late baroque trapezoidal aisleless church. The completed church was blessed in 1767 and in 1868, it was made more pseudogothic. There is a cup-shaped pulpit and people compare it to Noah’s ship. Services are held at the Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Torma every Sunday at 11 a.m.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Torma

Struve Geodetic Arc in Kaarepere on Aruküla hill

The Struve Geodetic Arc is a survey circuit created by astronomer and surveyor Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve to specify the size and shape of the Earth and to produce accurate topographic maps, consisting of 265 measuring points and extending from the Arctic Ocean to the Black Sea. One of the triangulation points is located in Kaarepere on Aruküla hill. The point is marked with an information board and in the immediate vicinity, there is the Kaarepere disc golf course, a barbecue and picnic area, and a pleasant village swing.In 2005, the Struve Arc was entered into the UNESCO World Heritage [...]

By |16 Oct 2020|Comments Off on Struve Geodetic Arc in Kaarepere on Aruküla hill

Jerjomin Glass Studio

Jerjomin Glass Studio OÜ makes glass souvenirs and art by melting glass. We sell handcraft products and guests can take part in making the products. Our aim is to offer our customers beautiful, genuine and quality goods and great service. We also have workshops where an instructor will give tips on how you can make your own souvenirs or anything else. A few days later, after the glass melting procedure is finished, guests will receive their souvenir by mail.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Jerjomin Glass Studio

St. Nicholas’ church, Põltsamaa

This Lutheran church, originally constructed on a bastion and the town's walls, was restored from its war-time ruins 50 years ago. Its altar, pulpit, lights and tower bells (XIX) are from the now defunct University of Tartu church.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on St. Nicholas’ church, Põltsamaa

Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church: St. George’s Church in Laiuse

Laiuse Church was first mentioned in 1319. It was destroyed during the Livonian War, the Polish–Swedish War, and the Great Northern War, but it was re-built. The church, which originally was a hall-church with three naves and no tower, is built from local limestone and its corners are made from large limestone dry-stones. The tower, which was destroyed in World War II, was restored in 1970. The building was restored in 2000–2001. The church organises a lot of concerts and services are held every Sunday at 1 p.m.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church: St. George’s Church in Laiuse

Adavere manor

Adavere manor was first mentioned in records in the second half of the 17th century. In the 16th and 17th centuries, Adavere was under the rule of Põltsamaa castle, which governed all of the surrounding land and villages as the most important town in Central Estonia. Its massive slate main building was constructed between 1892 and 1893. The complex also includes outbuildings erected in the late 19th century – a workers' cottage and a barn with a drying shed. Manor park (dating from the 1740s) was one of the grandest in Estonia in its day, although little remains of its glory [...]

By |08 Apr 2021|Comments Off on Adavere manor
Go to Top