Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /data01/virt30949/domeenid/www.visitjogeva.com/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/visitestonia/index.php on line 159
Finnish Archives - Visit Jõgeva

Finnish

Põltsamaa Castle

The stone fortress was constructed on the banks of the Põltsamaa River already in 1272. Later on (1570–1578) the fortress was the residence of Livonia's King Magnus. Repeatedly pillaged, the castle was rebuilt by Woldemar Johann von Lauw. In the 18th century the fortress became a grand rococo-style palace. The castle and the church burnt down in 1941. Only the church was restored in 1952. The castle remained in ruins, waiting for its time. The complex is open again from the summer of 2023. The castle tower, convent building, and gate building are open to visitors, where you can find [...]

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Põltsamaa Castle

St. Nicholas’ church, Põltsamaa

This Lutheran church, originally constructed on a bastion and the town's walls, was restored from its war-time ruins 50 years ago. Its altar, pulpit, lights and tower bells (XIX) are from the now defunct University of Tartu church.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on St. Nicholas’ church, Põltsamaa

Põltsamaa Museum

Põltsamaa Museum is located within the walls of the ancient Põltsamaa Ordensburg. Põltsamaa Museum gives an overview of the glorious past of the stronghold, town and the parish: Interesting facts: During the Livonian War the castle was the residence of the King of Livonia In the 19th century the castle was a Rococo style castle, a flourishing centre of culture and industry.

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Põltsamaa Museum

Kursi’s Sts. Mary and Elisabeth Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church

Baroque architecture in concordance with pseudo Gothic architecture (alteration by Johann Gottfired Mühlhausen). Twelve small spiring pinnacles symbolise the twelve apostles of Jesus. The church manor is a historical parochial centre; there is a museum in the vicarage (built in 1817).

By |08 Jun 2020|Comments Off on Kursi’s Sts. Mary and Elisabeth Church of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church
Go to Top