Põltsamaa's stone fortress was constructed on the banks of the river in 1272. Between 1570 and 1578 it was the residence of Livonia's King Magnus. Repeatedly pillages, the castle was rebuilt by Woldemar Johann von Lauw in the 18th century as a grand rococo-style palace. The castle, and the church built into its cannon tower, burnt down in 1941. The church was restored by 1952, and the castle ruins came under preservation during the 1970s.
The forecourt of the castle hosts open air events - The round courtyard holds a tourist information point and the Põltsamaa Museum; a wine cellar with a food museum; the pART Gallery; clay, handicraft and other workshops; and the castle's restaurant.
The magnificent Neo-Renaissance style manor with a white main building was built during the time of G. J. Mannteuffel in 1860. In 1918, Julius Kuperjanov established a partisan battalion in Puurmani castle. At present, the castle houses the Puurmani Upper Secondary School. You can visit Puurmani castle and learn about its history in the course of the Forgotten Manors program during the visiting days in the summer. You can also order a tour of the manor house, manor park and the entire Jõgeva County. In the manor, we will look around different floors where you can see the countess's boudoir, a secret door leading to the tower, as well as the count's study and treasury. You can also order a night tour and catering.
Kuremaa manor was first mentioned in the beginning of the16th century. Having had a number of owners it were the von Oettingens who built the current main building. The family’s cemetery sets on the estate as well. The manor was expropriated in 1919 and accommodates a trade school. There was a fire in 1986 but the manor was restored.
Construction of the Laiuse fortress was launched by the Livonian Order in the late 14th century to defend its eastern borders. The first defensive structure in Estonia to be fitted with firearms, it gained its definitive appearance in the late Middle Ages. Cannon towers were added to the fortress in the mid-15th century. The fortress crumbled in 1559 but was restored, with wooden barracks built at the end of the Swedish era, which accommodated Karl XII and his entourage from 1700–1701. After the Great Northern War the fortress lay in ruins.
It is believed that the Raja congregation of Old Believers was established in the first quarter of the 18th century. The congregation was given permission to build its own church only in 1879. The church was destroyed during the Second World War – the only thing left is the belfry. The present worship house has 11 rooms. In 1854–1930 Gavriil Frolov lived in the worship house. He taught children icon-writing, reading and writing in Old-Slavic, also singing based on old musical notation.
Palamuse parish school building and the living quarters for the parish clerk Georg Nieländer were completed in 1837 and the school was open there until 1975. A museum has been open there from 5 January 1987 and it displays the life of a parish school at the end of the 19th century through Oskar Luts’s Spring.
Kalevipoeg's Museum is located in the former Saare schoolhouse (built in 1929) in Kääpa village, Saare parish, Jõgeva County. The museum is named after Kalevipoeg (the son of Kalev) because his sword is in the Kääpa River, which is surrounded by resting places, rocks, springs, bogs, plough furrows, horse tracks, etc. There are 11 different thematic rooms in the Kalevipoeg's Museum. If they wish, the visitors can get to know the epic in detail with a guide during their visit.
Põltsamaa Museum is located within the walls of the ancient Põltsamaa Ordensburg. Põltsamaa Museum gives an overview of the glorious past of the stronghold, town and the parish: Interesting facts: During the Livonian War the castle was the residence of the King of Livonia In the 19th century the castle was a Rococo style castle, a flourishing centre of culture and industry.